Basketball season in Lawrence has officially begun. Late Night was last weekend, which means Kansas fans couldn’t care less about college football. The phrase, “Wait ‘til basketball season,” is almost relevant. If you’re like me, you’ve been dreaming about the start of November since March — this is not an exaggeration. But, with a month to go before any actual games start, I thought it would be fun to look back at some of the most exciting wins in Kansas hoops recently.
10. Kansas vs Duke in the 2012 Maui Invitational: Kansas beat the Devils 68-61 in Maui. The Devils lost again in the 2013 Champions Classic 94-83. It’s always a good day when you beat Pu–I mean Duke.
9. Kansas vs No. 2 Kentucky in the Champions Classic (2014): In neutral territory, Kansas beat the Wildcats 75-65. They weren’t ranked No. 2 much longer, and Heather was a happy gal. (Especially since Kentucky broke my heart in 2012 — not bitter. At all.)
8. Kansas @ Iowa State on Big Monday (January 2013): An overtime Big Monday game. Hmmm, anyone recall Georges Niang getting a technical foul? Cyclones fans weren’t happy. And I think we made “The Mayor’s” son cry. Kansas won 108-96 in the Hilton Coliseum — their magic ran out that night.
7. Senior Night 2015: First of all, I pretended this was also my “senior night” because I would no longer attend a game as a student… It was also Bill Self bobblehead night. This game had me on edge. Thankfully, Kansas beat West Virginia in OT 76-69.
6. Kansas @ Hield & Co. Part II: Another game that almost all college hoops fans were watching. Kansas won 76-72 in Norman — but it’s important to mention how incredibly well Buddy Hield played. I’m still upset we didn’t get to witness at KU vs OU part III.
5. Kentucky @ Allen for College Gameday: I didn’t get to attend this game, but the fact that Kansas beat Kentucky in Allen Fieldhouse 90-84 made my heart full. Take that Calipari!
4. Kansas vs Buddy Hield & Co. on Big Monday: This was my favorite battle of the two times these powerhouses met. No. 1 Oklahoma vs. No. 2 Kansas. Kansas took the first game in this new “rivalry” 109-106 in Allen Fieldhouse. The triple-overtime game is one to remember.
3. Final Four in 2012: The win against Ohio State sent Lawrence, Kan. into a frenzy. By frenzy, I mean Massachusetts street was filled with (some underage), drunken students.
2. The Final Border War game (2012): I was a freshman at the time of this game. My seats were in the rafters, but I’ve never screamed harder in my life. Man, it felt good to get that win.
1.Mario’s Miracle (2008): If this isn’t number one on your list of most exciting college basketball games in the last ten years, well, I don’t know how to help you.
Like what you read and want some more? Check out other posts from Heather here!