Sarah Manning and I met when she was still a single gal getting ready for the US Navy’s basic training program. I was immediately struck by her magnanimous smile and laugh. She’s our first international Badass Babe, as she’s currently deployed. Her roots are planted deep in Kansas and she is everything you think of when you think of a Midwestern girl. She’s loyal and tough, with an amazing sense of humor.
Follow Sarah Manning on Instagram @sarahbeth9810
- As a child, what did you want to be when you grew up?
– I always wanted to be a veterinarian, until I realized that it involved more math and science than actually cuddling with puppies all day!
- Who’s has inspired you the most?
– The most inspirational person in my life is my mom. Before my dad, she was married to an abusive husband and she was strong enough to get out. Then she married my dad, who was less than great to her as well. My mom tried everything she had to make it work, but when she realized it was effecting her children she left. She is the most selfless person that I’ve ever met. She has been working two jobs for as long as I can remember. When she was 34, she was diagnosed with breast cancer. Her only prayer was that she could live long enough to watch my brother and I grow up; she is turning 60 this year, and has been my best friend and biggest supporter my entire life!
- What are your goals for the year?
– I just started Dave Ramsey’s “Financial Peace University” to get out of debt. I am trying to be more financially responsible so that my husband and I can start having a family this year. And get more puppies!
- Whats your favorite way to spend a day off?
– My favorite way to spend a day off is doing literally anything with my husband! Since we are both in the military, our time together is few and far between. I don’t care if we lay on the couch all day and watch Netflix for 12 hours, or wake up at 6am and go to Universal Studios. Any day with him is the best day ever!
- What qualifies someone as a “bad ass” and do you think of yourself as one?
– A“bad ass” is someone who pushes themselves even when they don’t think they can make it. Even more so when no one else believes in them. They go against the grain and stand up for what they believe and want, even when it isn’t the most “popular” way. I don’t think that I am a badass, I would like to one day, but I’m just not there yet!